“Coffee and a Bagel, with a Side of Twitter, Please.”
Personally, my own routine starts by hitting snooze on my iPhone, 3 or 4 times each day. Then, once my eyes can focus, I open Twitter and Facebook to read what happened overnight with all of my friends, while getting a jump “who’s doing what” in the business/world news realm. I immediately jump to my emails and clear out all the ones I don’t plan to read, briefly review my work emails, catch up on my Words-with-Friends moves, and then I get out of bed, get to work and turn on my computer.
A new study conducted by Exact Target and COTweet, says “if start your day with a visit to Facebook, you might welcome “extracurricular” content from brands, such as interaction and entertainment that isn’t directly related to a purchase or business transaction.” This means that I’m a perfect target for effective marketing.
The Study observed the morning behavior of the online user and found some of the following:
- More than 50% of U.S. online consumers check their e-mail before visiting other websites when they start the day.
- Facebook is the first destination for 11% of U.S. online consumers.
- Of daily Facebook users, 69% “Like” at least one company or brand.
- 68% of daily Twitter users follow at least one brand on the service.
- 43% of all American Internet users are either fans or followers of at least one brand on Twitter or Facebook.